Friday, October 3, 2014

Women, the Priesthood and Questions

I finished Wendy Watson Nelson's Change Your Questions, Change Your Life book a short while ago.  In her book she says we would get better answers to our prayerful questions if we asked better questions.  

Example: Rather than asking, "why can't I ever learn not to make stupid mistakes?" ask, "what has the Lord given me which will help me make better choices?"   

Sister Nelson gives many "spiritually strengthening questions" in her book. Just a few are:


How can this situation benefit me?
What growth and new understandings will come to me out of this situation?
How will it turn to my good?
What is already happening that is good, that I have been overlooking?
How will this situation turn to the good of those I love?
What can I do so that this situation will turn to the good for those I love? 



The September 2014 Ensign has an article taken from a talk Elder Ballard gave at BYU.  He said:  


In our Heavenly Father’s great priesthood-endowed plan, men have the unique responsibility to administer the priesthood, but they are not the priesthood. Men and women have different but equally valued roles...
Men and women are equal in God’s eyes and in the eyes of the Church, but equal does not mean the same. The responsibilities and divine gifts of men and women differ in their nature but not in their importance or influence. God does not regard either gender as better or more important than the other...
Women come to earth with unique spiritual gifts and propensities. This is particularly true when it comes to children and families and the well-being and nurturing of others...

So often, even though it is not always worded this way, the question I hear is, "Why don't women have the priesthood?"  

As I read Elder Ballard's quotes above, perhaps inspired by the question book sitting beside me, my first question was, 



"What are the unique gifts and 
responsibilities of women?" 


Isn't that the big question? 

What would happen if we asked Heavenly Father this question while we listen to conference? What if we asked Sisters Nelson's questions listed above as they concern women and the priesthood?

That question may not be answered for awhile, but answers will come. In the mean time there are questions I can ask as a daughter of Heavenly Parents.

What is my unique responsibility as a daughter of God?

What can I do to find my mission in life?

What talents and responsibilities have I been given to find my mission?

How can I get further understanding of the uniqueness of women?

What am I doing now that is helping me gain that understanding?

No comments:

Post a Comment